The World Wide Web never ceases to fascinate us. And one such aspect of the World Wide Web is the dark web. It is part of the World Wide Web containing encrypted web data and cannot be accessed through conventional browsers like Google or Bing.
The purpose of creating a dark web was to allot privacy to the US military for carrying out their work, but since then has found many functions such as a market for illegal weapons, drugs, stolen data, and any other unlawful activities. However, you won’t be jailed for accessing the dark web but beware of the necessary precautions you need to take before you venture on an expedition to explore it.
First of all, keep in mind that you cannot access the dark web through Google or any other standard web browser. It means you need to have a specific browser installed in the first place. And that particular browser is called Tor. Tor is the only browser providing access to the dark web. All the URLs that you enter in this browser have the domain .onion.
Second, you need to have the URL of the website you need to access. As remembering URLs is not a feasible solution, so make sure to save your copy of the URLs.
Third, for making any transactions on the dark web, you’ll have to use untraceable currencies such as Bitcoin or Monero. However, remember that accessing the dark web is one thing, but performing transactions is another. The FBI has shut down many marketplaces for selling illegal items in the past. One such notable example is Silk Road- a dark website that was shut down for selling unauthorized drugs.
The dark web is frequently subjected to the scrutiny of the law, and therefore, it is advised that if you ever decide to access it, avoid spending money. You never know who is there to scam you or if the police officers are carrying out another sting operation. That is why access the dark web only at your own risk.
Steps to Get Started with the Dark Web Securely in Canada
- Make sure you have installed a VPN (Virtual Private Network). A VPN’s purpose is to transfer data across a public network securely, and it will help you remain anonymous. If you have trouble finding a VPN, you can opt for PureVPN. Their 2-year subscription comes for $59, and this VPN will offer you full-fledged privacy and anonymity.
- Open the VPN, turn it on, and change your server location to another country like Netherlands or Russia.
- After securing your connection, visit the Tor website and download the browser. Run the file and install it on your computer.
- Enter your URL in the web browser. Make sure that the domain name ends with .onion.
- Press Enter, and you’re good to go.
The good thing about the dark web is that it offers privacy to people and organizations to carry out their work effectively. Law enforcement officers have busted many criminals owing to the dark web’s popularity for illegal activities.
The same privacy also works against maintaining a peaceful internet community as it gives power to the wrong hands. Such people indulge in criminal activities like smuggling, contract killing, etc., causing unrest among the normal society.
The dark web perfectly highlights the power of technology and how that technology can be misused if it falls into the wrong hands.
Therefore, if you decide to access the dark web, make sure to use it wisely and not get involved in activities that can later become your plight.